Read "The Morals of the Prince" by Niccolo Machiavelli and annotate pg.221 in 50 Essays Book.
Keep in mind the idea that what we portray to others may not be real and the reasons why.
Then answer the following questions:
1. In the first paragraph, Machiavelli states that his view of leadership will differ from that of others who have considered it. In what way does he say his approach will differ?
2. In his first two paragraphs, does Machiavelli appeal primarily to ethos, logos or pathos? Explain.
3. The speaker says that “a prince must be shrewd enough to avoid the public disgrace of those vices that would lose him his estate.” Explain an underlying assumption behind that statement.
4. Identify the appeal to logos in paragraph 4.
5. Explain the effect of the series of words “loot, extortion, and plunder” in paragraph 5.
6. Identify and explain an assumption underlying the speaker’s position in paragraph 7 and 8.
7. Identify several contrasts the speaker presents in the last section, paragraphs 12-17.
8. What paradox is presented at the end of the speech? Explain what makes this statement a paradox.