Write an argument essay that answers the following prompt. Review and follow the notes that you received on Toulmin Argument method. Make sure you have at least one counterclaim followed by rebuttal.
Alienation because of gender, race, class, etc. Conflicts exist when the will of the majority opposes the will of an individual. In America, who is in the minority, who is in the majority, and how does this shape our current culture?
Please print the attached resource and use it as a resource for this essay
Argumentative Essay Guidelines
We will be having a Socratic Seminar style discussion. Please do the following:
1. Create 2 questions of each level.
2. Read and annotate "Letter to Martin Luther King"
3. Look up, read, and print an article about current civil rights from 2018-2019.
We will use the additional documents to drive our discussion, but the questions are from "A Letter from Birmingham Jail"
SOCRATIC SEMINAR QUESTIONS CLICK HERE
Read and annotate the following:
"Letter from Birmingham Jail" by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Page 172 in the 50 Essays Book
If you were absent, we started with synthesis essay. It is your responsibility to take notes on the following:
DUE 1/24 OR 1/25
FINAL DRAFT- types, 12 point font, double spaced, and italicized 4th paragraph
Assignment instructions that have the rubric on the back of it.
Extra Credit if you present.
NO LATES WILL BE ACCEPTED! IF YOU WERE ABSENT YOU NEED TO ASK A CLASSMATE ABOUT THIS.
Here is a link of what the actual document read. It has the title followed by the subtitle. The book, does not have the subtitle.
Education: Education is difficult to define. It is difficult to discern what makes a person educated, what students need to know for the future, and what purpose education serves for society as a whole. Advocates of standardized testing and accountability have many opponents because of the prescription nature of education that it encourages. So,
To what extent do our schools serve the goals of a true education?
The Language of Composition p. 175
If you were absent:
Read and annotate "The Allegory of the Cave" on page 284 in 50 Essays book.
Then, answer the questions on page 291.
Bring it next class complete!
Read "The Morals of the Prince" by Niccolo Machiavelli and annotate pg.221 in 50 Essays Book.
Keep in mind the idea that what we portray to others may not be real and the reasons why.
Then answer the following questions:
1. In the first paragraph, Machiavelli states that his view of leadership will differ from that of others who have considered it. In what way does he say his approach will differ?
2. In his first two paragraphs, does Machiavelli appeal primarily to ethos, logos or pathos? Explain.
3. The speaker says that “a prince must be shrewd enough to avoid the public disgrace of those vices that would lose him his estate.” Explain an underlying assumption behind that statement.
4. Identify the appeal to logos in paragraph 4.
5. Explain the effect of the series of words “loot, extortion, and plunder” in paragraph 5.
6. Identify and explain an assumption underlying the speaker’s position in paragraph 7 and 8.
7. Identify several contrasts the speaker presents in the last section, paragraphs 12-17.
8. What paradox is presented at the end of the speech? Explain what makes this statement a paradox.
DUE 12/6-12/7 Abstract Topic #5
Money: "Money means so many things to us- spiritual as well as temporal- that we are at a loss to know how to hold its majesty at bay..." Henry Adams. Some say that money is the root of all evil. Others say that money makes the world go 'round. Your goal is to research some aspect of American obsession with money.
Follow the order to get to the first type of evidence you did.
Click on the following link for the Fallacy Project